[Talk-ca] App for mapping running/cycling itineraries/routing

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 18 17:47:59 UTC 2013

The wiki is a good place to hunt down information on what's available. It's
also a good place to record any project you start (with links to relevant
code repositories like GitHub or implementation sites).
Some pages I found:
* The See More section on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Bicycle#See_also
* Bicycle category listing
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Bicycles
* Section on list of OSM-based services:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/List_of_OSM_based_Services#Biking.2C_Geocaching.2C_Hiking.2C_Sport

Z-data (or elevation data) isn't generally stored in OSM. It can kind of
work for points (especially peaks) but doesn't so much for ways. Map
renderings (e.g. OpenCycleMap.org) or routing (e.g. CycleStreets.net) tend
to supplement OSM data with SRTM data for elevation. There's a lot of
information and help available on mixing SRTM with OSM.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Srtm

I'm not exactly sure what you're wanting to do, I know many people have
thoughts on cycling websites. They vary but all cross over a lot in
different ways, so it's hard to know until something is built.
Are you thinking something like Strava.com?
They have had thoughts about OpenStreetMap, but it seems a very slow switch
taking place (surprising as I find OSM far superior for cycle
infrastructure given it's possibly the best form of transportation for
mapping).
http://blog.strava.com/new-open-street-map-data-and-mapbox-maps-on-strava-4924/

Hope all that helps,
Greg.

On 18 August 2013 15:47, Yves Moisan <ymoisan at videotron.ca> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm looking for an app that would let me map running/cycling routes using
> OSM data.  I've looked at the OSM page on routing and found Cloumade's site
> (1) which is quite interesting and usable but has limited functionality IMO.
>
> What I'd be interested in as a first step is the ability to add vertices
> in the route.  Currently, all one can do is add points at the end of the
> route so the only way to "insert" a point within a route is to delete all
> points from the end of the route backwards. Also -- and this is where maybe
> the cycling map would be useful -- I would very much like to have an
> altitudinal cross section of a route, either at fixed distance intervals or
> at slope changes (lows and highs) or both.  I'm not sure how z data is
> stored in OSM (if at all).  If not, then maybe in an app one could select
> points where one knows the altitude (without necessarily uploading the data
> to OSM per se).  If yes then adding precision to interpolated altitudes
> with one's own data would be useful.
>
> Is there someting along those lines somewhere ?  If not, what do OSM'ers
> do to start new projects ?  GitHub ?
>
> TIA,
>
> YvesM
>
> (1) maps.cloudmade.com