[Talk-ca] Sidewalks

nicholas ingalls nicholas.ingalls at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 21:08:27 GMT 2013

My personal preference is to enable the JOSM sidewalk style and then use
the sidewalk:right sidewalk:left, sidewalk:both, or sidewalk:none tags on
the actual street. The footpaths are just about useless (as in the example
above) as they are not related to the street in anyway. So the routing
engine couldn't say turn left onto Maple Street. It could only  say turn
left. If the tags are on the actual street and not separately mapped, it is
much easier for a routing engine.

http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Styles/Sidewalks

Cheers,
ingalls