[Talk-ca] Fredericton WMS Offset

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 20:11:24 GMT 2013

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 12:34 PM, nicholas ingalls
<nicholas.ingalls at gmail.com> wrote:

> In reference to the orientation problems, I generally orient according to
> gps tracks and I also use the road centre lines from the fredericton open
> data portal to ensure areas are correct. (I know the data hasn't been
> cleared to use, I simply use it to check the bing imagery)

This is the second time in the last little while that a statement like
this has been made...

What is the "official" word on the practice of checking non-approved
data sources, not for inclusion in OSM, but to ensure what is being
included is correct?

I understand the concept, but you are using a derivative of data that
is not allowed.

I can say that I am entering street names from memory, but I'm "Just
checking Google Maps to ensure I'm spelling the name right."

Using non-approved sources to align the Bing imagery is pretty much
the same thing.

--
James
VE6SRV