[Talk-ca] Fredericton WMS Offset

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 01:02:47 GMT 2013

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 2:02 PM, nicholas ingalls
<nicholas.ingalls at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have to believe that that the process I used would be correct or else
> sites like geofabrik compare would be in violation of the license. If I had
> used the fredericton data to create a new offset I could see there being a
> problem but this was not the case, the fredericton data was simply used to
> verify the bing imagery.
>
> tl;dr No offset was derived from the Fredericton data, it was simply used to
> check the Bing imagery.

Okay, so if there had been an identifiable offset in the Bing imagery,
what would you have done then? Would you have thrown up your hands and
said "There's no possible way that I can continue!"

If I check my street name spelling against Google Maps, and notice
that there is a spelling mistake in my version, can I delete my name
based on that information?

I can't give a definitive answer, just posing a question. I've always
wondered how we can put names on the roads. People say that they are
using "local knowledge", or they base the information on what they
observe on the street signs. However, given the situation where a new
subdivision is planned, and the roads and street names are drawn on
the planning document, then the builders build the streets, and put up
street signs based on the planning document, then someone reads the
sign before they share that information with others to create that
"common knowledge". If the original planning document is a under a
copyright, how can we map the street names in OSM?

--
James
VE6SRV