[Talk-ca] Pocket GPSs in cars...

Colin McGregor colin.mc151 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 15:26:19 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Connors, Bernie (SNB)
<Bernie.Connors at snb.ca> wrote:
> Colin,
>
>         I just recently bought a Garmin eTrex 20 as well and I also need a mount for my car.  I jury rigged a mount for my eTrex 20 using an existing mini clipboard that has a suction cup to mount on the windshield.  I removed the paper from the mini clipboard and then I created a small pocket for the eTrex 20 from cardboard and duct tape.  I used double faced tape and more duct tape to attach the pocket to the mini clipboard.  It is a little larger than necessary but it does the trick and it cost next to nothing.  I'll snap a photo and send it later.

Thanks.

>         BTW, I have also loaded my eTrex 20 with maps from OSM Maps - http://www.osmmaps.com/

Yes, likewise. For the cost of a microSD card you can have fairly
current (within the last few weeks) OSM maps on your Garmin (this
feature is why I went with the eTrex 20 over the somewhat less
expensive eTrex 10). I've got a 8 GB microSD card installed for
storing OSM maps, even though a 2 GB microSD card would do for all of
Canada, but finding a 2GB card this days is a challenge, and with 8 GB
cards selling for under $10 not worth the effort to hunt down the
small capacity cards...