[Talk-ca] Aerial imagery for Nanaimo, BC

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Mon Oct 21 00:46:30 UTC 2013

License issues seem to expand to fill my available time.

Nanaimo’s license is different than the OGL (a UK license) in a few ways. I
don’t think anyone has analyzed it for ODbL compatibility. One minor mistake
that was made was defining an Information Provider solely as The City of
Nanaimo, unlike the original OGL which defined it as the person or
organization. That’s the biggest issue I’m aware of with it, but I believe
when publishing open data under a self-developed license the onus should be
on the on the publisher to consider compatibility with other licenses. After
all – what good is open data if you can’t combine it with existing data
sets.

There are one or two datasets I would love to use immediately and a few more
I would like to use when I get the time to sit down and do some work, but
both are on hold because I’m not certain if their license is ODbL
compatible.

It would be helpful if the publisher of the data or the license (The City of
Nanaimo) made a statement on the compatibility of their license with the
OGL. It’d also be useful to know about CC BY/CC BY-SA compatibility, but
that isn’t necessary for use with OSM.