[Talk-ca] coastline between Montreal and Sorel, Quebec

Adam Martin s.adam.martin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 14:40:15 UTC 2014

Charles,

I took a look at the area that you describe and I see what you mean - the
coastline designation disappears around Sorel and reappears just past
Montreal. Looking in the area of the gap, the use of "Coastline" appears to
suddenly switch to "Water" and "Riverbank". The source of the information
also switches, from the NRCAN database to Bing.

I am not aware of a discussion that flagged this area to be left "as-is" on
the map. I am also not sure why someone would be "protecting" the area from
corrections / changes.

However, I believe I can see where the confusion came from (at least
partially). For reference, this is the St. Lawrence River, an enormous
waterway that drains the Great Lakes into the North Atlantic. A river of
this size generally cannot be described accurately with a single line in
the centre of the waterway as it eliminates a vital level of detail of the
surrounding area. So the St. Lawrence needs to be detailed as a water
polygon in order to preserve the shoreline. The problem here is that there
seems to be some confusion as to what sort of shoreline this represents -
coastline or riverbank. The answer to that is rather complex - where
exactly does the St. Lawrence River stop being a river and become part of
the eastern coast of Canada? The switch between descriptions here appears
to be part of someones attempt to "correct" the designation of the
shoreline in the river for an area that they consider to be part of the
"River" that is the St. Lawrence (as opposed to the coastline that the
river drains into).

I think the question here is the same - where does the St. Lawrence stop
being a river and start being a part of the coastline?

Adam