[Talk-ca] coastline between Montreal and Sorel, Quebec

steggink at steggink.org steggink at steggink.org
Fri Apr 4 06:21:43 UTC 2014

Another option is to tag water as coastline at places where there is
significant tide. This will include the estuary up until approximately
Quebec City.

Regarding tagging the Great Lakes as coastline: why would there be an
exception for them, where as other large lakes (Great Slave Lake,
Victoria Lake in Africa, Lake Baikal in Russia, etc.) are not? IMO
this can be considered as tagging for the renderer.

A better approach would be to prepare a lowres, generalized dataset
for rendering at low zoomlevels, which only include coastlines and a
couple of large bodies of large water, depending on size. This file
could be updated once a year or so. It is not as if the coastline is
changing so dramatically that it needs to be updated every few weeks.
I think the quality of the current coast lines in OSM is high enough
that this decision could be made, especially with the work Christoph
Hormann has done on Antarctica last year.

Apart from the Great Lakes, this would also mean that the IJsselmeer
in the Netherlands and two lakes in Russia (Ladoga and Onega) need to
be retagged. It might be inconvenient, but why isn't that a problem
for other large lakes?

Regards,

Frank

Quoting personal at charleskiyanda.com: