[Talk-ca] Updating Langley and use of alt_name?

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Feb 20 20:28:33 UTC 2014

I think it's reasonable. "Langley" could refer to either, but it's
not the official name of either, or the less formal name they commonly
use. alt_name sounds suitable.

For those who aren't local

- Both the City and Township are incorporated municipalities
  in local terms, which maps to admin_level=8
- They are adjacent, but do not intersect, nor are they within each other.
- The Township is much larger, and has open data. The City is smaller, and
  has GIS department consisting of one person.
- There is often no distinction between the two, and their addresses are on
  a grid layout

That's all fairly simple, but the place node is more complicated. Langley is
not a "city" in British English, but a "town". However, I'm not sure that
its place=town node can be tied solely to the admin relation for one or the
other. I'm not sure what to do, but one suggestion was to put it as the
label
of both.

Label is a bit of a misnomer really - the only current function of it is to
Indicate that the place node and admin boundary somewhat refer to the same
thing. It is not used by the standard stylesheet for rendering of
administrative
boundary labels, nor are there plans for it to be
(https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/105)