[Talk-ca] Updating Langley and use of alt_name?

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Sat Feb 22 02:53:36 UTC 2014

Looking at the Township and City of Langley, I see that these relations are duplicate polygons that share the exact same nodes. Then why two relations? Instead, would it be better to simply use alt_name for the city, added to the Township of Langley.  Such Classification where you have two admin_level=8 for the same area is a nonsense to my point of view.

To show the inconsistencies that this creates, let's have a look at the Nominatim links below. You will see how the Locality, Suburb, Residential highways etc. are shared between the two. And most of the item are classified under the Township. Some other elements under the City. But searching Nominatims, you will see places classified either und the Township, the City of simply Langley.

For example, if you search in Nominatim for

	* Livingstone, Langley. Canada, this will be reported as Livingstone, Township of Langley, Greater Vancouver Regional District, British-Columbia, Canada
	* 10 Avenue, Township of Langley, Greater Vancouver Regional District, Colombie-Britannique, Canada
	* Brookswood, Township of Langley, Greater Vancouver Regional District, Colombie-Britannique, Canada
	* 201A Street, Brookswood, Langley, Greater Vancouver Regional District, Colombie-Britannique, Canada
The best seems to make a choice for which locality title will be showed to describe Langley and use an alt_name tag to describe the second appellation

	* City Boundary Township of Langley, Greater Vancouver Regional District, Colombie-Britannique, Canada
http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2031947
http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=9164399767

	* City Boundary City of Langley, Greater Vancouver Regional District, Colombie-Britannique, Canada
http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2031946
http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=98083231

Pierre