[Talk-ca] Motorway_junction ref/exit_to

Harald Kliems kliems at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 22:57:39 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

while working on the oneway issue on motorway junctions I noticed that
there are a lot of exits that lack a number (ref) and destination
(exit_to). You can roughly see the extent of the problem here:
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/27T

Does anyone know of a source for this information that we could use? I know
that Wikipedia lists most of the information but AFAIK their license is not
compatible with OSM.

I think having the exit numbers and destinations would be very useful to
improve routing and navigation. It's nice to have your Satnav tell you to
"Leave Autoroute 20 at exit 22 towards Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu and
Chambly."

I don't have a car, but should I undertake any rental car trips I'll make
sure to set up a dashboard cam.

Cheers
 Harald.

PS I also noticed that often people enter the exit_to info in the name tag
of the junction. According to the wiki that's not advisable.

--
Please use encrypted communication whenever possible!
Key-ID: 0x34cb93972f186565