[Talk-ca] Import suggestion/proposal: street address data for the City of Vancouver, British Columbia (Canada)

Adam Williamson adamw at happyassassin.net
Wed Jan 22 04:28:59 UTC 2014

> There is no complete or reliable building shape data available for the
> CoV from any source of which I'm aware: the City provides a small amount
> of shape data for the downtown peninsula, but hedges it around with
> disclaimers (it's outdated, incomplete, and not entirely reliable,
> apparently), so for all intents and purposes all we have for building
> shapes is manual survey. (Looking through other address import proposals
> this seems to be something that comes up, so I thought I'd throw it in).
> There is, however, high-quality free satellite data available for the
> area, which helps a lot with checking of the data.

I should note that the CoV does have high quality property parcel data
available, in case that's of any use for the import. I suppose in theory
it's possible to use it to identify the edge of the property that
borders the street on which it sits, and place the node in the center of
that edge, for instance. I don't know if this kind of fiddlery is
considered 'good' or 'bad', and I don't know if my weak GIS/coding
skills would be enough to achieve it :)
--
adamw