[Talk-ca] Question on CANVEC

Adam Martin s.adam.martin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 13:36:44 UTC 2014

Hey all,

I have a quick question on data that has been imported from CANVEC. I have
been doing some work on the North-West side of Thunder Bay in Ontario. Part
of that has been attempting to revamp the land use designations there. At
the moment, the use has been entered via CANVEC import, but a review
comparing that data to the actual land underneath from the Satellite shows
fairly large variances. As well, the "Wood" polygon itself is oddly shaped,
with squared lines denoting where it two CANVEC products were imported side
by side.

Large multi-polygon areas like these are impossible to edit in ID and still
difficult in JOSM. So my question is this - if I am editing the area, what
is the perception on deleting the main "Wood" polygon altogether and
re-creating it? My intent would be to increase the accuracy of the map in
the area based on the satellite data provided by Bing and this would be
easier if the land use were cleared and re-built. I would leave the
features that CANVEC imported - only the land use would be re-constructed
in that case. The other components would simply be moved and edited as
needed.

Thanks,

Adam