[Talk-ca] Telecommunications Buildings

Harald Kliems kliems at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 17:48:33 UTC 2014

Since this phenomenon is not specific to Canada (see for example
http://www.messynessychic.com/2013/01/29/the-fake-townhouses-hiding-mystery-underground-portals/)
it might be a good idea to ask on the general tagging list. I quickly
looked up the examples mentioned in the article and didn't see any specific
tagging in OSM.
 Harald.

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 1:35 PM, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Adam Martin <s.adam.martin at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Quick question regarding tagging buildings. I've come across several that
>> are owned and maintained by a local telecom company. These are buildings,
>> usually located in residential areas, look somewhat like houses, but are
>> there to provide switching and distribution of communications equipment
>> (telephone, Internet, etc). What should these be tagged as? My assumption
>> would be "building = yes" and a "Works =" tag. Thoughts?
>>
>> Adam
>>

> Excellent question that I would love an answer for.
>
> In similar fashion our local electric power company (Toronto Hydro) has
> put up a number of "houses" (and other buildings), basically fake building
> shells to hide electrical transformers (with signs on/beside the door
> noting the building ownership and warning of possible electrocution to
> trespassers (in other words the buildings and their role is not super
> secret, but also not announced loudly). How should these building shells be
> tagged?
>
> Colin.

Please use encrypted communication whenever possible!
Key-ID: 0x34cb93972f186565