[Talk-ca] Target Canada

Andrew MacKinnon andrewpmk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 00:06:02 UTC 2015

>I don't understand why this was done. Not all of these stores are closed permanently. Unless you plan to do the reverse on Saturday for the ones remaining open, we'll be left with shop=vacant where the shop is actually open. If some of these are in areas without regular contributors, they could remain "vacant" for a long time. shop=vacant also doesn't render on the standard map, so it would be easy for these incorrectly-"vacant" locations to go unnoticed, whereas a visible Future Shop would be more likely to be noticed and then get fixed.

I have no idea which Future Shop locations are closing and which will
reopen as Best Buys on April 4 except for a bunch in the GTA that I
have surveyed. Generally those locations which are near a Best Buy are
closing and those which are far from a Best Buy are reopening but not
always. Right now, shop=vacant is correct for all of them, though I
realize that it will only be true for some of them 2 days from now. I
encourage everyone to survey their local former Future Shops and
update them.

Using overpass turbo <http://overpass-turbo.eu/> is useful for finding
all the Targets and Future Shops and so on which are in OSM, use the
"Wizard" button.

Yes I am planning to change all the Targets in Canada to shop=vacant
after April 12. Keep in mind of course that Target USA is not going
out of business and not to accidentally touch any American Target
stores. There is also an oddball convenience store called "Target" in
Simcoe, Ontario that obviously isn't a Target, I have no idea whether
this actually exists and I won't touch it. Given that Canada appears
to be having a recession again due to low oil prices, I wouldn't be
surprised if many of the Target stores stay vacant for a long time.
There are still former Zellers stores (e.g. the one at Lawrence Square
in Toronto) that never became Targets and that are still vacant.