[Talk-ca] Help Importing York Region Data to OpenStreetMap

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 13:38:38 UTC 2015

On 2015-01-28 11:14 PM, Richard Weait wrote:
> You should not proceed with this import.  The plan description on the
> wiki has several show-stopper problems.

If anyone was wondering about context, here's the plan:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Yorkregion_GIS/York_Region_Data_Imports

It has good links to OSM-compatible open data from York Region.

My main problem with the plan — apart from likely wilful data
overwriting — is that they'd clip data to districts. Like we need /more/
arbitrary boundaries to fix in Canada …

> - parcels. Parcel data is contentious and problematic in
> OpenStreetMap.  See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Parcel

Also, the commercial provincial parcels manager gets really possessive
over anything cadastral, even if they didn't collect it or own it. They
have money and lawyers. (Which I sometimes wish they'd direct back to
addressing the quality of the data they sell …)

> Do you have newer and or higher resolution aerial imagery?

Most municipalities/regions pay into group orthophoto collection, like
SWOOP in SW Ontario. It's updated every six years or so. It's supplied
to members at cost recovery, but the licensing is restrictive. I did ask
the relevant folks back in 2013 or so if they'd release the obsolete
2006 data if I found hosting (as it was better/newer than most of the
Bing/Yahoo imagery at the time), but I got a no.

cheers,
 Stewart