[Talk-ca] Highway recoding

J.P. Kirby webmaster at the506.com
Wed Jul 22 15:13:02 UTC 2015

On 2015-07-22, at 10:39 AM, Daniel Begin <jfd553 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Since then, the document (a) is used by some contributors to recode primary roads to trunk because it is cited in the Canadian tagging guideline (c). IMHO, the problem is that this document (a) defines 3 Route Categories (Core, Feeder, Northern and Remote) that does not fit with OSM highway definitions.
>
> I prefer looking at OSM highway as “infrastructure categories” –my understanding of OSM definitions– rather than as “strategic categories” as described in (a) and partially promoted in (c). However, both are of interest as long they are applied consistently (d).

In my opinion, the "strategic category" approach better fits the spirit of the British classification system that OSM highway tagging is based on. There is no regard whatsoever for access control there - I think there are even some controlled access secondary roads.

It's the approach I've been using for my tagging in the Maritimes. I (and apparently others) have been using that National Highway System map to define trunk roads in the absence of any other Canadian equivalent to the British trunk system.

Just my 2 cents….
JPK