[Talk-ca] Open Data Imports

Daniel Begin jfd553 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 23 18:38:36 UTC 2015

Bonjour Andrew,

Good initiative!
And it will be perfect if you add all necessary links to good practices/warnings about imports!-)

I had a look at Canvec+ details (a).
- The prepackaged files (250K tiles) are going to be quite large since, from what I understand, they have merged together all (16) underneath 50K.
- Custom “areas of interest” might be difficult to manage for data import.
- Proposed file formats are similar to what it used to be with standard Canvec, but it does not include OSM format :-(

About the script(s) used to convert Canvec to OSM, they were built using FME workbenches linked together with batch files (so, obviously not open source).

Best regards,
Daniel

a) http://geogratis.gc.ca/site/eng/whats-new/intro-canvec