[Talk-ca] Open Data Imports

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 12:07:19 UTC 2015

On 2015-07-23 11:54 PM, Andrew MacKinnon wrote:
> It might be helpful to look at http://openaddresses.io/ which is an
> project to aggregate address data from various open data portals.

I'm a little confused by http://openaddresses.io's licensing: they claim
CC0 but retain individual contributor licences. That seems to be getting
collection/database rights exactly the wrong way round.

> Does anyone know which of these (and others) are compatible with the
> OSM license?

Some of the licences are up on CLIPol <http://clipol.org/>, and you can
compare them to OSM's. Usually they're not on the site, and they are all
special roll-your-own versions inspired by the UK Open Data Licence.

In theory, you can add licences to CLIPol, but it would take a careful
legal eye to catch all of the terms. If a city caught the first open
data wave and has a licence from ≤ 2011, it's highly likely that you
can't use it with OSM.

Toronto you can, because they told us we can.

cheers,
 Stewart