[Talk-ca] Mapping exit numbers and destinations in Canada

Manohar Erikipati manohar at mapbox.com
Thu Aug 11 12:07:21 UTC 2016

Hello everyone!

Turn restriction sprint was met with an amazing response! We loved working
with you all on adding turn-restrictions in Canada. We appreciate the
timely help and suggestions we got which helped us add correct restrictions
and to also maintain the quality of data we were adding on to
OpenStreetMap. We hope that this support will continue further, as we are
embarking on mapping exit numbers and destinations in the same 5 cities of
Canada.

We have made an easier workflow [1] with tasking manager [2] for adding
exit and destinations. We would like your assistance, participation and
continued involvement in the project. We have captured the details of this
task here [3].

After a preliminary look into the already mapped exit numbers and
destinations, we have these observations:

- We noticed that `destination` (places, cities) and `destination:ref`
(highways) tags are being added to the nodes of exits as `name` tags.
- Few exit nodes have destinations given in the `ref` tag.
- The `destination:street` (towards streets, avenues, boulevard, rue) tags
were not being used.

To begin with, we have one question: Destinations given in the name tag of
nodes is not usual protocol for adding these tags. We want to make sure
whether it is valid or if we could change these tags to the `destination`
based tags accordingly. For more details, here's the complete breakdown
[4]. To reach out to more audience, we have captured this in a OSM diary
post [5]. We would like to hear from the community about the agreed method
of mapping exit numbers and destinations to take this forward.

1. https://gist.github.com/manoharuss/3a1b4f640aaf2c052365fcb1ddb09beb
2.
http://cfn-tasking-manager-staging-vpc-387856624.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com/project/20
3. https://github.com/mapbox/mapping/issues/220