[Talk-ca] OpenStreetMap at the Crossroads – The Map Room

Laura O'Grady laura at lauraogrady.ca
Wed Aug 17 22:44:07 UTC 2016

Interesting post [1] following up on Michal Migurski's [2] comments, "openstreetmap: robots, crisis, and craft mappers", which were based on his thoughts after attending SOTM Seattle. It's basically a treatise categorizing mappers and (inadvertently) creating a hierarchy of value or importance.

I recently exchanged messages via OSM with a "robot mapper" who did a bunch of imports in my areas. I asked this person some questions about their edits, pointed out some errors and invited them to present their work at a local OSM meeting. After a few exchanges I received no further response.

I don't know what recourse there is for this (imports gone astray) or if OSM plans to address any of the issues outlined in the linked blog posts in the future. But I thought this community might want to discuss these ideas and the ensuing discussions in their respective comment sections.

Laura

-
Laura O'Grady
laura at lauraogrady.ca