[Talk-ca] OpenStreetMap at the Crossroads – The Map Room

Begin Daniel jfd553 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 19 20:34:05 UTC 2016

+1

From: Adam Martin [mailto:s.adam.martin at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, 19 August, 2016 12:21
To: Stewart C. Russell
Cc: talk-ca at openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] OpenStreetMap at the Crossroads – The Map Room

Wait! You mean a robot ... Made a mistake!!?? Say it ain't so!

Sarcasm aside, it's not surprising. The article speaks so highly of the robots and the crisis peeps over the crafters and the arm chair people. But it has been my experience that unless the importer is skilled and regularly consults the locals, the result is invariably bad for the map.

The demotion of craft mappers and arm chair mappers to, effectively, bottom feeders does a disservice to the map. I map my local area and arm chair locations far away. I do not think those contributions are damaging or niche. My local work is for things only a local could know. And my remote stuff is, while based on the satellite, things that need refinement (better shaping) or things that are missing that seems beneath some mappers (such as service roads). No one seems to want to survey this type of thing or to make sure a road flows correctly. This is especially true for some of the robot work. Things are imported and left that way with no regard for confirming that the new data appears reasonable. One place I went over had imported streets that were not connected together, so I fixed it from my position thousands of kilometers away. As long as one is conscious of the need to defer to the locals and preserve information already in place, there is nothing wrong with remote mapping.