[Talk-ca] Talk-ca Digest, Vol 96, Issue 1

Mojgan Jadidi mojgan.jadidi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 19:13:05 UTC 2016


Hi again,

Please accept again my apology!

So I want make it in right way, what we should do, some of you see our data
and did some queries too. If you accept to proceed next step (asking pnorman
to revert back the data) will allow me to do visual inspection (once again
as final verification) in whole region as soon as possible for
any conflict on data server. I am ready to answer any questions regarding
to procedure, data quality, and any geospatial related issues in bulk
import.

Please feel free to send me your feedback!

Thanks
Mojgan

*Mojgan Jadidi, Ph.D.*

*Intern, Applied Research and Corporate Monitoring,*

*Metrolinx  |  97 Front Street West, Toronto, ON, M5J 1E6 | T: 416-202-5844
<416-202-5844>*


*Postdoctoral Research Fellow*
*GeoICT Lab | York University | 4700 Keele St, Toronto, ON, **M3J 1P3*

ca.linkedin.com/pub/mojgan-amaneh-jadidi/10/825/969/

On 2 February 2016 at 10:54, Mojgan Jadidi <mojgan.jadidi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Paul,
> That was totally my mistake to not doing in the way that you explained,
> but I am here to fix any problem. I am willing to collaborate as the
> community expect. Indeed my next plan was do an extra visual inspection on
> OSM data server to remove any duplication or conflict. I hope this
> miscommunication issue will be resolved soon, and we can open-up our data
> to the community.
>
> I am struggling to find a solution
> Thanks
>
> Mojgan
>
> *Mojgan Jadidi, Ph.D.*
>
> *Intern, Applied Research and Corporate Monitoring,*
>
> *Metrolinx  |  97 Front Street West, Toronto, ON, M5J 1E6 |
> T: 416-202-5844 <416-202-5844>*
>
>
> *Postdoctoral Research Fellow*
> *GeoICT Lab | York University | 4700 Keele St, Toronto, ON, **M3J 1P3*
>
> ca.linkedin.com/pub/mojgan-amaneh-jadidi/10/825/969/
>
> On 2 February 2016 at 10:48, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, from the outside looking in I'm not seeing the huge surprise.
>> I'm not a community member, but I saw the initial emails from Mojgan,
>> and he's also talked to folks face-to-face. I didn't see an email
>> about the wiki page, but that could be because I wasn't paying
>> attention. What would a good process look like?
>>
>> x- email: "hi, I'm a government organization and I'd like to engage
>> this way, we want to do this"
>> x- comment/response/refine
>> x- wiki: "here is exactly what we plan to do and how we are going to do
>> it"
>> - email: "hi, we now have specific plans and have documented them here
>> in the wiki for your comment"
>> - comment/response/refine
>> - email: "hi, we are going to run a small test import in the following
>> area for your review, please comment"
>> - import: "here's a small amount of data, exactly as we'd do it in a
>> larger area"
>> - email: "hi, we have run a small test import in the following area,
>> please review and comment"
>> - comment/response/refine
>> - email: "hi, we are about to run our main import in the following
>> area, please light your hair on fair if you still have a problem with
>> this"
>> - import: "boom, there it is"
>>
>> I did see the first three communications for sure, and maybe missed
>> one on the wiki. Probably for a big import running a test import first
>> would be a generally wise approach for getting feedback (similar to
>> publishing a github branch).
>>
>> Triplinx has definitely been approaching this in very good faith,
>> shame to see them get reverted for failing to follow a process that
>> doesn't seem to be documented. They certainly met the "communicated"
>> threshold, just maybe not enough or in the right ways for some folks?
>>
>> P.
>>
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 6:51 AM, Begin Daniel <jfd553 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> > Initial misunderstandings, emails round trips with the community…
>> standard
>> > communication process!
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > I do not know how others a seeing it, but reading about the process you
>> use,
>> > I do not see anything like a wild bulk import. At least, it is very
>> similar
>> > to the process I used when importing Canvec datasets.
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > Daniel
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > From: Mojgan Jadidi [mailto:mojgan.jadidi at gmail.com]
>> > Sent: February-02-16 09:33
>> > To: talk-ca at openstreetmap.org
>> > Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] Talk-ca Digest, Vol 96, Issue 1
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > Please accept my apology for this misunderstanding, I thought our
>> presence
>> > for last OSM meeting and flowing emails in Talk-ca and with John were
>> part
>> > of communication and discussion, we launched our wikipage two weeks
>> ago, and
>> > we did not receive any feedback, so we thought to start import via JOSM.
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > as we expalined in our wikipage, we created the algorithm to detect the
>> > missing information, and then we check the quality of this information
>> on
>> > JOSM on the top of OpenStreetMap, Bing Areal imagery, GeoBase Road
>> network
>> > and some local municpal open data. the data is created initially through
>> > StatCan, however, we noticed the low quality of StatCan road segment
>> > geometry, so we deal with this issue by using complement dataset such as
>> > OpenStreetMap, Bing Areal imagery, GeoBase Road network and some local
>> > municpal open data. all created nodes and ways are carefully inspected
>> > visually using above dataset for more that 6 weeks.
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > Our final verification will be on the OSM server (on-line) to avoid or
>> > detect any issues. Our aim is having high quality address information
>> in OSM
>> > for sake of community. we were very prudent from the first step to have
>> a
>> > high quality source of information.
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > I hope that the community will accept our contribution and enjoy to use
>> the
>> > data.
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > Best regards,
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > Mojgan
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > Mojgan (Amaneh) Jadidi, Ph.D.
>> >
>> > Postdoctoral Research Fellow
>> >
>> > GeoICT Lab
>> >
>> > York University
>> >
>> > Toronto
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > ca.linkedin.com/pub/mojgan-amaneh-jadidi/10/825/969/
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > On 2 February 2016 at 07:00, <talk-ca-request at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > Send Talk-ca mailing list submissions to
>> >         talk-ca at openstreetmap.org
>> >
>> > To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>> >         https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ca
>> > or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>> >         talk-ca-request at openstreetmap.org
>> >
>> > You can reach the person managing the list at
>> >         talk-ca-owner at openstreetmap.org
>> >
>> > When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>> > than "Re: Contents of Talk-ca digest..."
>> >
>> >
>> > Today's Topics:
>> >
>> >    1. Triplinx import (Stewart Russell)
>> >    2. Re: Triplinx import (john whelan)
>> >    3. Re: Triplinx import (Stewart Russell)
>> >
>> >
>> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> >
>> > Message: 1
>> > Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 18:36:01 -0500
>> > From: Stewart Russell <scruss at gmail.com>
>> > To: talk-ca <talk-ca at openstreetmap.org>
>> > Subject: [Talk-ca] Triplinx import
>> > Message-ID:
>> >         <CAAsTreDSk=
>> ZPf5zniBH144N46pMJgcvX8q-vdYHRMwjJ188ohw at mail.gmail.com>
>> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>> >
>> > It seems that this import has started with no discussion. Here's the
>> wiki
>> > page:
>> > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Triplinx_Metrolinx_Import_Plan
>> >
>> > Stewart
>> > -------------- next part --------------
>> > An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>> > URL:
>> > <
>> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ca/attachments/20160201/2432eb78/attachment-0001.html
>> >
>> >
>> > ------------------------------
>> >
>> > Message: 2
>> > Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 19:14:11 -0500
>> > From: john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com>
>> > To: Stewart Russell <scruss at gmail.com>, Mojgan Jadidi
>> >         <mojgan.jadidi at gmail.com>
>> > Cc: talk-ca <talk-ca at openstreetmap.org>
>> > Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] Triplinx import
>> > Message-ID:
>> >         <CAJ-Ex1GJSvCrz4+j4cq=rDZo_WD8dB6q+YvTOMMsgQEyuem=
>> bw at mail.gmail.com>
>> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>> >
>> > I had a skype call with Mojgan where we discussed some of the issues and
>> > there was an email sent to talk-ca on Jan 12th 2016.
>> >
>> > To me a couple of issues first are that the Stats Canada data was
>> designed
>> > for Stats Canada use, probably for the labour force survey and as such
>> > provided the interviewer can see the address from where it is marked on
>> the
>> > map this is sufficent accuracy.  My concern would be about the accuracy
>> of
>> > the data.
>> >
>> > Another issue is do we end up with duplicate addresses?  My concern
>> would
>> > be do we end up with the same address in two different locations?
>> >
>> > I think a better solution would be to take a copy of the OSM database,
>> > strip out the existing address data and drop in the stats data and use
>> the
>> > copy for their purposes.
>> >
>> > Cheerio John
>> >
>> > On 1 February 2016 at 18:36, Stewart Russell <scruss at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >> It seems that this import has started with no discussion. Here's the
>> wiki
>> >> page:
>> >> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Triplinx_Metrolinx_Import_Plan
>> >>
>> >> Stewart
>> >>
>> >> _______________________________________________
>> >> Talk-ca mailing list
>> >> Talk-ca at openstreetmap.org
>> >> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ca
>> >>
>> >>
>> > -------------- next part --------------
>> > An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>> > URL:
>> > <
>> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ca/attachments/20160201/380bb9cc/attachment-0001.html
>> >
>> >
>> > ------------------------------
>> >
>> > Message: 3
>> > Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 19:38:19 -0500
>> > From: Stewart Russell <scruss at gmail.com>
>> > To: talk-ca <talk-ca at openstreetmap.org>
>> > Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] Triplinx import
>> > Message-ID:
>> >         <CAAsTreC+jpJdAOeEG7z2GX95T4tjm=GdT=
>> ms4t7iDXf4tx7YEQ at mail.gmail.com>
>> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>> >
>> > Import user is:
>> > https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Triplinx%20Canada
>> >
>> > Several 50K node imports today.
>> >
>> > Stewart
>> > On Feb 1, 2016 7:14 PM, "john whelan" <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >> I had a skype call with Mojgan where we discussed some of the issues
>> and
>> >> there was an email sent to talk-ca on Jan 12th 2016.
>> >>
>> >> To me a couple of issues first are that the Stats Canada data was
>> designed
>> >> for Stats Canada use, probably for the labour force survey and as such
>> >> provided the interviewer can see the address from where it is marked on
>> >> the
>> >> map this is sufficent accuracy.  My concern would be about the
>> accuracy of
>> >> the data.
>> >>
>> >> Another issue is do we end up with duplicate addresses?  My concern
>> would
>> >> be do we end up with the same address in two different locations?
>> >>
>> >> I think a better solution would be to take a copy of the OSM database,
>> >> strip out the existing address data and drop in the stats data and use
>> the
>> >> copy for their purposes.
>> >>
>> >> Cheerio John
>> >>
>> >> On 1 February 2016 at 18:36, Stewart Russell <scruss at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >>
>> >>> It seems that this import has started with no discussion. Here's the
>> wiki
>> >>> page:
>> >>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Triplinx_Metrolinx_Import_Plan
>> >>>
>> >>> Stewart
>> >>>
>> >>> _______________________________________________
>> >>> Talk-ca mailing list
>> >>> Talk-ca at openstreetmap.org
>> >>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ca
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>
>> > -------------- next part --------------
>> > An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>> > URL:
>> > <
>> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ca/attachments/20160201/d27749c7/attachment-0001.html
>> >
>> >
>> > ------------------------------
>> >
>> > Subject: Digest Footer
>> >
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > Talk-ca mailing list
>> > Talk-ca at openstreetmap.org
>> > https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ca
>> >
>> >
>> > ------------------------------
>> >
>> > End of Talk-ca Digest, Vol 96, Issue 1
>> > **************************************
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > Talk-ca mailing list
>> > Talk-ca at openstreetmap.org
>> > https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ca
>> >
>>
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ca/attachments/20160202/69acf373/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Talk-ca mailing list