[Talk-ca] Highway recoding

Chandler Vancouver chandler.vancouver at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 19:34:06 UTC 2016

Hi everyone!

To begin with I am relatively new to OSM but I am trying to figure the
Canadian definition for trunk status and find the current definition as
described on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canadian_tagging_guidelines#Trunk as
academic and not functional. And please forgive me if I covering previously
discussed material. Also, my context might from British Columbia focus as
well.

This conversation comes up from a discussion I have had with another OSM
contributor, so I'm posting below my response to the definition as found at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canadian_tagging_guidelines#Trunk

---

Thank you for updating me as to the status of trunk roads. And I have begun
correcting routes that are definitely not trunk roads.

I think the concern I have is openstreetmap needs different layers
depending on the end users purpose. For example, if the end user is using
OSM for a GPS navigational unit the status of a trunk road based on the
Council of Ministers criteria is irrelevant. For that matter, for most map
users it is irrelevant. Most people using a map want to know essentially
know where number designated highways are so they can travel most
efficiently to their destination.

However, there was/is precedence on OSM in the Lower Mainland region of BC
of a trunk highway status on a route that is not covered by the Council of
Ministers. Highway 7 (Lougheed Highway), west of the changeset you
corrected, and Highway 7B (the Mary Hill Bypass) are shown as trunk roads
on OSM yet they are not mentioned in the Canada’s National Highway System
Annual Report 2014 (page 29 - http://www.comt.ca/english/nhs-report-2014.pdf
 ).

The purpose of the Canada’s National Highway System Annual Report 2014 is
for government purposes. This document is part of the background for the
fourteen governments in Canada in how the Federal government will apply
funding for highway improvements. This covered in the documents
introduction on pages 2 and 3. The most salient quote: "The information
contained in the report that follows offers insight to the role played by
the National Highway System, its performance, the state of its
infrastructure and the investment being made in its restoration and
improvement."

Again, this has nothing to with actually usage or intent from the map users
point of view.

So the question is what is the purpose of OSM in the context of Canadian
trunk roads?

The OSM definition of trunk road appears more academic than actual usage.
This is where I look at the following BC highways:

7 between Agassiz and Hope

9 between Highway 1 and Agassiz, combined with the Haig Highway

10 from Highway 91 to Highway 1

11 from at least Highway 1 and the US border crossing

13 from Highway 1 to the US border crossing

15 from Highway 1 to the US border crossing.

With the exception of Highway 10, all of these routes are important good
movement routes that connect Vancouver to intra-provincial,
inter-provincial, and international destinations. Yet they are not covered
by Canada’s National Highway System Annual Report 2014 and therefore, based
on OSM's rather limited definition of trunk roads are classified at best as
a primary road.

In the case of Highway 10 it is a trunking route for commuter traffic that
links the Trans-Canada Highway to Langley, Surrey, and North Delta. Along
its Glover Road section and to Highway 1 it is a two-lane road, but west of
its junction with the Langley By-pass through to Highway 91 it is four-lane
highway with grade level signalized intersections and is more often a
divided highway / dual carriageway. And while it is not connecting major
urban centres itself, it works in conjunction with Highways 1 & 91 to
connect travellers to other areas beyond Metro Vancouver. Therefore,
operating a trunking route, not as a primary route.

The broader OSM definition, versus the Canadian specific definition,
appears to be a far more inclusive definition. "high performance roads that
don't meet the requirement for motorway."
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtrunk

Further I did not know that the page
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canadian_tagging_guidelines#Trunk existed
until you pointed it out to me. When you look at OSM overall page for trunk
road Canada is missing from the International equivalence table on page
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtrunk

However, when I look at the Canada Border Services Agency's statistics of
vehicle movements it is clear these highways are most likely of trunk
highway status based on usage.

Abbotsford-Huntingdon (Hwy 11) in 2013, this port of entry processed
approximately 1.2 million vehicles and 2.2 million travellers.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/time-temp/404-eng.html

Aldergrove (Hwy 13) In 2013, this port of entry processed approximately
786,000 vehicles and approximately 1.6 million travellers.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/time-temp/408-eng.html

Pacific Highway (Hwy 15) In 2013, this port of entry processed
approximately 2.5 million vehicles and approximately 4.7 million
travellers. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/time-temp/398-eng.html

Please keep in mind that above numbers only represent northbound traffic
volumes and therefore it is most likely the actual volume is approximately
double.

But what is interesting is that if you look at North Portal, Saskatchewan
the traffic volume is approximately 27% of the Aldergrove border crossing
(approximately 212,000 vehicles and approximately 329,000 travellers -
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/time-temp/604-eng.html ). However the
Canada’s National Highway System Annual Report 2014 defined Saskatchewan
Highway 6/39 as part of the National Highway System but not BC's Highway 13
which is sees far more motor vehicle traffic.

Perhaps the OSM group needs to re-examine the definition of trunk
designation from only being routes as covered by the Canada’s National
Highway System Annual Report 2014, but look into other value points such as
traffic volume and the intent of the highway's usage.

Further, I feel that maps must extend beyond academic definitions and be
living documents that represent what the end user is seeking for
information. In the case of trunk roads it could include all or most
numbered routes that allow the end user an efficient travel route to reach
their intended destination.

Cheers,

Ken