[Talk-ca] OSM Custom Map Solution

Bradon Levalds blevalds at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 23:33:01 UTC 2016

Hello Everyone,

I’m reaching out to you after speaking with the MappyHour & OpenStreetMap Meetup group in Toronto. I’ve had some great discussions with that team as well as some other mapping enthusiasts regarding a roadblock I’ve hit and they advised to ask this group directly.

Currently I’m trying to find someone that is able to build and design a custom map solution that I can integrate into a website.

Requirements :
Custom map integrated directly into website
Ability to search any location
Custom colour ways to mirror product I’m fabricating

Details :
What I want to be able to do, is have the map style integrated into the site, and when a user chooses a location, I’m able to save their location with a bounding box and export into a workable file like a shapefile or SVG (Illustrator compatible). I’ve been speaking with several developers, and although they did not have the time to take on any freelance work, they recommended using OpenStreetMaps for the data, which we "extract only the ways (polylines) that have tags such as highway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway?uselang=en-CA>=motorway, natural=water <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural=water?uselang=en-CA> and natural=coastline <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural=coastline?uselang=en-CA>.” The maps themselves only highlight the major streets, highways and land coastlines, therefore I only need to extract certain “ways.”

Please let me know if this is something that may be of interest to someone in this discussion.

Thanks,
Bradon.

Bradon Levalds
blevalds at gmail.com