[Talk-ca] Improving navigation data in several cities in Canada

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 13:46:55 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

This is Maning Sambale and I work with the Mapbox' Data team [0].  Our
team is working on improving carnavigation data in OpenStreetMap.  We
recently mapped turn-lanes [1] and turn-restrictions [2] in several
cities in the US.

Right now, we want to extend this mapping to other cities around the
world. We mainly use Mapillary, hires imagery and other open data
sources to map.

For Canada, we want to focus on several cities where Mapillary has
good coverage.  Initial cities are:Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa,
Calgary, Montreal. Whenever, Mapillary is not available, we will not
map them.

Before we begin, we want discuss first with the Canadian community.
We appreciate any idea, tool, reference data that can improve
navigation data in Canada.

All  mapping projects will be posted in our mapping repo [3].

[0] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapbox#Mapbox_Data_Team
[1] https://github.com/mapbox/mapping/issues/180
[2] https://github.com/mapbox/mapping/issues/187
[3] https://github.com/mapbox/mapping/