[Talk-ca] restriction=no_right_turn_on_red causing routing problems in Toronto

Nathan Wessel nate.wessel at mail.utoronto.ca
Tue Jun 28 18:11:29 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get some advice on what to do with a relatively uncommon turn restriction tag currently in use in Toronto and Ottawa.

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/restriction=no_right_turn_on_red

There are about 80 of these 'restriction's in the GTA, and I've noticed that they are preventing any right turns when I attempt to route using OSRM. I posted about this on the restrictions talk page, here<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Relation:restriction#No_Turn_On_Red>, and someone suggested that because the restriction value starts with 'no_', it is, and should be, treated like an absolute restriction which prevents any turns from the 'from' way to the 'to' way.

Anyway, I'm hesitant to outright delete these because I presume they contain some potentially useful information, but I also need them to stop restricting turns so I can use the data for routing. Maybe these should not be 'restriction's, but something else?

I'd be happy to make the edits if someone can come up with a good suggestion here.

Thanks,

Nate Wessel
Jack of all trades, master of geography

1-330-936-2849