[Talk-ca] Bus stops in Ottawa

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 18:14:55 UTC 2016

On 2016-03-01 06:42 PM, Tristan Anderson wrote:
> Let's not be too hasty in removing large amounts of data, … simply
> because it may or may not be compatible with a future OSM license.

That's not the issue. It's not compatible with the current licence, for
reasons including:

1. Liability for not complying with Terms of Use — “If, as a result of
your breach of these Terms of Use, the City gets sued or is required to
pay someone money, you agree to protect the City and reimburse the City
for everything which you cause the City to suffer …”

2. Cancellation for non-compliance — “The City may, in its sole
discretion, cancel or suspend your access to the datasets without notice
and for any reason, including anything which the City, in its sole
discretion, believes is a breach of these Terms of Use or is otherwise
unlawful or harmful to others. In the event of cancellation or
suspension, you will no longer be authorized to use or reproduce these
datasets, and the City may use any means possible to enforce its decision …”

plus the whole other raft of risks that CLIPol identified:
http://clipol.org/licences/16?tab=licence_risks

OSMF cannot accept any liability for data that is included in the map.
So we can't accept reason 1. Similarly, should Ottawa terminate the
licence, there is no way that OSM can tell downstream users to stop
using Ottawa's data, because no-one knows who all is using the OSM data.
So reason 2 is not acceptable either.

Legal risks aside, the import broke most of the Import Guidelines
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines>, so it should be
removed and discussed before import again.

cheers,
 Stewart