[Talk-ca] Wikidata in OpenStreetMap

Devon Fyson devonfyson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 04:08:45 UTC 2016

With respect to linking wikidata and OSM, all those properties should be
added to wikidata if they don't already exist. Then link to it by simply
adding the wikidata ID in OSM. Then if OSM ever wants to merge wikidata in,
it can all be done automatically via the wikidata ID. Most of what is in
that Ottawa example is already in wikidata and so it doesn't make sense to
duplicate it. See this discussion
<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Properties_for_deletion#OpenStreetMap_Relation_identifier_.28P402.29>
on wikidata.
As for cross referencing existing OSM nodes with existing wikidata IDs, the
fastest way would be to use a script to search between the two databases
with a best fit algorithm then have user intervention to ensure quality.
(eg node 18886011 at 45, -75 is a capital with name 'Ottawa' and looks to
match Q1930 with a 90% fit, next match of ___ is a 50% fit). Even lower
hanging fruit would be to start with cross-referencing via the wikipedia
tags which could probably be fully automated. eg OSM → wikipedia → wikidata
to generate OSM → wikidata.
    Devon