[Talk-ca] ODbL vs CC-BY

Begin Daniel jfd553 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 5 14:08:02 UTC 2016

I was looking at open data that are available in my neighbourhood and I found interesting contents under CC-BY 4.0 license.

According to the above web site, the CC-BY 4.0 is not compatible with the OSM license (ODbL) because the CC-BY 4.0 license "prohibits technical protection measures while ODC-ODbL does not contain any such stipulation"
http://clipol.org/licences/70?tab=licence_compatibility

Does someone on this list can explain what it means and how it applies to OSM?

Thank
Daniel

Protection measures are, for instance, digital rights management software that restricts the ability of those who receive a CC-licensed work to exercise rights granted under the license.