[Talk-ca] ODbL vs CC-BY

Begin Daniel jfd553 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 6 19:06:20 UTC 2016

Merci Charles, you make my day!
Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: Charles Basenga Kiyanda [mailto:personal at charleskiyanda.com]
Sent: Thursday, 6 October, 2016 15:02
To: talk-ca at openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] ODbL vs CC-BY

I would rather look here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/ODbL_Compatibility

CC-by-4.0 is still under review, but all other CC-by-x.x licences have a problem with attribution:

"is ODbL compatible if rights holder(s) explicitly states in writing that credit on the Contributors <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors> page is sufficient to fulfil attribution requirements including downstream use in works derived from OSM "

Montreal was also releasing under a CC-by-x and the problem was fixed by getting confirmation from the city that "the mode of attribution of openstreetmap by linking to the import sources contribution page is enough to satisfy their requirement for attribution under CC-by." We then kept that email very preciously and posted it everywhere we could find to make sure it doesn't get lost/forgotten.

If CC-by-4.0 has a specific clause regarding technical protection measures (TPM, think encryption, hashing to prevent further people from modifying the database) extra from previous versions of CC-by, you'd need to get a waiver from the source contributor on that point as well.
This being said, the Odbl summary states:

"/Keep open:/ If you redistribute the database, or an adapted version of it, then you may use technological measures that restrict the work (such as DRM) as long as you also redistribute a version without such measures."

[From http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/summary/]

Technically, it clashes with the following in CC-by-4.0:

"No downstream restrictions. You may not offer or impose any additional or different terms or conditions on, or apply any Effective Technological Measures to, the Licensed Material if doing so restricts exercise of the Licensed Rights by any recipient of the Licensed Material."

If one wants to be particularly pedantic (which I guess you should be with licenses), then yes those two paragraphs conflict. CC-by-4.0 says "you can't encrypt the data" and Odbl says "You can encrypt the data if you make an unencrypted version available". The fact that you have to (under Odbl) make an unencrypted/unencumbered version available somewhere kind of makes the point moot, but you always have the possibility someone would make the unencumbered version available somewhere at "the end of the internet" only and kind of be conspicuous about where it actually is located.

To be absolutely shielded, I would ask the city to confirm:

"A) The attribution on the import page satisfies our attribution requirement; and B) the requirement, under Odbl, to make a version of the data with no technological protection measures satisfies our restriction on TPM."

Then post that email everywhere and keep a paper copy safe somewhere.

Cheers,

Charles (I am an engineer and definitely not a lawyer.)