[Talk-ca] The Statistics Canada Project

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 11:52:00 UTC 2016

When I looked through the existing buildings I came across a tag that was
ele often with a value of 2 or 3.  I suspect this is the number of stories
and the same as building:levels which is in wiki/Map_Features.  Could any
one confirm this as it is one of the attributes that Stats Canada is
looking for.

If it is would there be any great objection to me changing the tag to
building:levels as recommended by the wiki/Map_Features?  The alternative
would be to have both tags on the building.

The other thought was although Stats Canada is promoting a customised
version of iD reality is it a lot easier to carry a smartphone or small
tablet and enter tags in the field.  There are a number of editors that run
under Android etc but unfortunately although its easy to add tags to a node
adding them to a building outline is more difficult.

Currently for buildings such as strip malls we have the idea of a building
outline with nodes for each store.  Often the address is on the building
outline but other details such as coffee shop etc are on the nodes.  I'm
wondering if having a node within the building that could be edited by such
things as OSMand etc might be a reasonable compromise.  It would avoid
transcription errors, first writing down the information then returning
home and entering it in iD.

We can build a list of buildings that are missing some tags that Stats
Canada are interested in but how does one draw them to attention to the
mappers with their missing tags?  A customised version of walking papers
perhaps?

Any thoughts on any of the above would be welcome.

Thanks John