[Talk-ca] [Imports] [Import] Ottawa Buildings & Addresses [Statistics Canada project]

James james2432 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 18:17:35 UTC 2016

I agree with Pavel (about the guidelines being considered to be followed to
a T, when guidelines by definition are what should be done)

As for Ottawa relying on external sources to collect data/correct the data.
Ottawa has a GIS team and surveyors and do said work internally. So they do
own 100% of the data they are outputting.

Pavel, I don't think it's a matter of keeping less accurate data vs not
keeping it, it's more keeping the history attached to the object. If
someone put many hours into initially making a map (say from 2008) and
someone comes a long 8 years later and deletes it, you are no longer
credited to the contribution of that object(I can see, now, why people were
angry)

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 2:06 PM, Pavel Machek <pavel at ucw.cz> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> >       Commitment to follow the rules
> >
> > Please ensure that any documentation contains a commitment to follow the
> > Import/Guidelines
> > <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines> and Automated
> > Edits code of conduct
> > <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits_code_of_conduct>.
> > These are non-negotiable parts of participation in OSM imports. The
> > Ottawa import very definitely falls under the definition of an Automated
> > Edit.
>
> Actually... I don't think this should be requirement. Import
> guidelines are not a holy text, people should follow them, but...
> what is next. Should they also include a poem explaining how
> import guidelines are great and make openstreetmap more useful?
>
> > While it is generally considered that OGL-CA is acceptable to OSM, the
> > lingering third-party waiver issue is troubling. As the City of Ottawa
> > almost certainly relied on third parties to collect and correct the
>
> While you may find it troubling, requiring such waivers is going to
> make imports impossible. (And openstreetmap useless).
>
> >       Data deletion
> >
> > While you will likely be able to show that some imported outlines are
> > more accurate than existing tracings, please don't delete/overwrite
> > community contributions. Also, under *no* circumstances delete
>
> So you suggest we keep less accurate data in openstreetmap,
> because...?
>

> Pavel
> --
> (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek