[Talk-ca] [Imports] [Import] Ottawa Buildings & Addresses [Statistics Canada project]

Pavel Machek pavel at ucw.cz
Fri Oct 21 18:06:25 UTC 2016

Hi!

>       Commitment to follow the rules
>
> Please ensure that any documentation contains a commitment to follow the
> Import/Guidelines
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines> and Automated
> Edits code of conduct
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits_code_of_conduct>.
> These are non-negotiable parts of participation in OSM imports. The
> Ottawa import very definitely falls under the definition of an Automated
> Edit.

Actually... I don't think this should be requirement. Import
guidelines are not a holy text, people should follow them, but...
what is next. Should they also include a poem explaining how
import guidelines are great and make openstreetmap more useful?

> While it is generally considered that OGL-CA is acceptable to OSM, the
> lingering third-party waiver issue is troubling. As the City of Ottawa
> almost certainly relied on third parties to collect and correct the

While you may find it troubling, requiring such waivers is going to
make imports impossible. (And openstreetmap useless).

>       Data deletion
>
> While you will likely be able to show that some imported outlines are
> more accurate than existing tracings, please don't delete/overwrite
> community contributions. Also, under *no* circumstances delete

So you suggest we keep less accurate data in openstreetmap,
because...?

									Pavel