[Talk-ca] CanVec Reverts

Darren Wiebe darren at aleph-com.net
Thu Sep 1 15:35:25 UTC 2016

I'm usually just a lurker on these lists but this has dragged me out of my
cave.

Michael,

I'm glad you care about the quality of the map, I do too.  I welcome you to
take an constructive approach to working with these problems.  Canada has
an area of 9,984,670 square kilometers with a population density of only
8.8.  That presents us with challenges that wouldn't apply to a country
with an area of 357,022 square kilometers and a population density of
593.  Rather
than handing out an ultimatum to the Canadian mapping community how about
you work with us?  We share your concerns in regards to data quality but
your unilateral reversion of commits without communication or cooperation
is damaging to the map.

I find your comment "if it has not been touched for a few weeks" comment to
be insulting and it shows a complete lack of understanding of the realities
on the ground.  I'm personally working at improving the map in my area
(County of Vermilion River, Alberta, Canada) and you are more than welcome
to constructively help. However, just because I haven't touched something
for a couple of weeks doesn't mean I've forgotten about it.  It means I was
on holidays or got busy with other things in the office.

Have you ever tried importing data using JOSM?  I've spent hours poring
over a few square miles of countryside and trying to get everything cleaned
up and merged.  Then, when I actually import, the data gets split into much
smaller sizes.  Or maybe I get some of it imported and then have to fix a
bug I missed in something else.  To somebody like you it looks like I just
dumped a bunch of data in when in reality I've been picking away at it for
a few days.

Darren Wiebe