[Talk-ca] CanVec Reverts

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 23:12:38 UTC 2016

I think my concern is that Canvec data has been imported over many years.
JOSM validation is now far more sophisticated than it was in 2008.  We
refined CANVEC over time, identifying problems with it back to the group
that created it.  Bing wasn't even available then.  My feeling is that part
of the CANVEC data such as forests has far too much detail for the value it
gives and over time the lakes and rivers tend to move.  Since it is is made
up of data from different sources and that data was collected on different
dates I think we have to expect some misalignment.

I do not have an understanding of what the German concerns are.  I do have
concerns that practically everywhere in Canada currently stands a chance of
having a lot of data being deleted including work that has been done to
clean it up.

Cheerio John