[Talk-ca] Telenav mapping turn restrictions

m at rtijn.org m at rtijn.org
Wed Apr 26 03:55:32 UTC 2017

Hi all,

> On Apr 25, 2017, at 11:29 AM, Stewart C. Russell <scruss at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 2017-04-25 12:43 AM, Andrew Lester wrote:
>> Okay Telenav, you win. …
>
> Yes, that must be frustrating. Would hate to lose you as a contributor.

Alienating and driving away local contributors is the last thing we would want to accomplish!

Let’s try and move past hurtful statements about us and our intent, and towards some hopefully constructive ways to fix mistakes we have made and prevent future ones from happening.

Let me suggest this: I will take the concerns raised here to our team and get back to the list before the end of the week with proposed next steps to fix where possible. We will use Github tickets to track this. This is something new we are starting to make our work and processes more visible and transparent: https://github.com/TelenavMapping/mapping-projects/issues <https://github.com/TelenavMapping/mapping-projects/issues>. You can follow along and chime in there as well.

My invitation to set up a town hall meeting with you and some of our team members also still stands.

Andrew — I added the issues you mentioned in your email as tickets. Some of them need more information to be actionable though, I hope you are able to provide some.

Stewart:

> They're also adding futile turn restrictions at the join of one-way
> on/off ramps, like this:
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7096540

That changeset was closed more than a month ago, we stopped adding these ‘implicit’ restrictions after the issue was first raised and it had become clear that there needed to be more discussion around them.

> (in a huge changeset, with the super-helpful comment “small updates”, no
> less)

You’re right, that’s not very helpful at all — we actually recently tightened up our changeset commit best practices to avoid things like huge changesets and meaningless comments. We published this on Github as well (feedback welcome): https://github.com/TelenavMapping/mapping-projects/wiki/Changeset-Best-Practices <https://github.com/TelenavMapping/mapping-projects/wiki/Changeset-Best-Practices>

I hope this helps us move forward.

Martijn