[Talk-ca] OpenStreetMap as a data source for visually impaired people

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 13:36:37 UTC 2017

Comment one Overpassis not infallible.  Someone did an Overpassquery to
find the number of streets with a French name in Ottawa they came back with
a dozen.  I downloaded the dump and found 1,600+.

https://www.geofabrik.de/data/download.html and use osmconvert64 to
manipulate it.

There is some work being done with R R.org to extract stats from OSM data.

Comment two I assume you have seen
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_for_the_blind and
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Disabilities ?

Comment three Some Open Data might be useful to fill the gaps.  There maybe
issues with licensing. The City of Ottawa for example has many junctions
with texture in the pavements to indicate a junction, they also know where
these are located.

There are two things to explore one is the use of printed raised maps for
the blind, this is being done in Germany, and the other is the use of WiFi
to locate the position to the inch of a receiver.  This is being done
mainly to prevent WiFi bandwidth stealing on Internet cafes but it offers
interesting possibilities for blind people at traffic lights in the centre
of town where GPS signals are of little use.

Talking locally with blind people in the suburbs GPS will take them to
their door but not near tall buildings downtown.

Flipping through the questionnaire at sometime in the past I've added
relevant information but it isn't a major reason for mapping.  I think this
one is chicken and egg, what do people want what would be the most useful?
and that is something that we don't always think about who will consume the
data.

Cheerio John