[Talk-ca] Crowdsourcing buildings with Statistics Canada

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 23:20:27 UTC 2017

We spent four years working with Treasury Board and Ottawa on the Open Data
Licence and they took extensive consultations. Given four lawyers I'm sure
one will say it isn't compatible but the feeling at Treasury Board was it
is and the Ottawa license is based on the TB license.  This particular data
set has been reviewed by a City of Ottawa lawyer and my impression was they
were comfortable.  That was one reason it took so long to get it formally
released.

It some ways this has become a philosophical discussion should Open Street
Map accept anything that has been done with a handheld GPS.  There are many
who think this is the correct way forward.  However there are others such
as myself who think that people who use the map should be considered.  I
certainly feel there is value in having the Ottawa Bus stops in.

There are many instances in OSM of imported data, a number of American
cities have their building outlines in for example.  I don't think this is
particularly different.  We might discuss if it adds value to the map but
that one is very difficult.  Where do you draw the line.  I'm not very
interested in rivers does that mean they should not be mapped by anyone?

In Africa I see all sorts of imported data some of very dubious quality.
Sometimes it does seem to me that there is one rule for Ottawa mappers and
quite another for the rest of OSM.

Overall I think Stats will introduce a number of new mappers.  They are
doing some interesting things by taking the .OSM file and feeding it into
R, a statistical package. R.org in case anyone is interested in looking it
up.  I've seen the first results and they look interesting.  I've had
feedback from someone in the equivalent of CIDA in Germany that they think
it might well be a very effective low cost tool for Town Planning in Africa.

My biggest concern is how the import is handled and merged with existing
data.  I think these concerns have been addressed on paper but only time
will tell exactly how it will unfold.

Cheerio John