[Talk-ca] Crowdsourcing buildings with Statistics Canada

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 02:56:29 UTC 2017

Essentially OSM is not well set up to handle these sort of issues.
Normally interpretations are base on custom and practice.

The wording is slightly different between the two licences.  OSM decision
making for local matters is normally left to local mappers.

So the decision to allow the import is an Ottawa mapper decision but
whether the licenses are compatible is not.

There is and has been minor imports of Open Data in Ottawa for some time.
The bus stops for example.  So custom and practice say if the bus stop
import was permitted then data from the same source under the same licence
should also be permitted.

It's a little like dealing with the native people of Canada.  There are
500,000 of them with 500,000 different opinions.  Trying to reach an
agreement is very difficult.

Realistically imports happen in OSM everyday.  They aren't always announced
in talk-ca first.

Cheerio John