[Talk-ca] Crowdsourcing buildings with Statistics Canada

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 13:18:22 UTC 2017

On 2017-01-23 01:54 AM, Denis Carriere wrote:
> There's been a lot of discussion on the license, however has anyone read
> the documentation on the import yet?

Read it? My mucky paw-prints are all over the edit history of the
article and its talk page. So I know I've read it, at least.

Couple of things:

1.	There are still some lurking imported data that the previous
	edits left behind. This could have been due to the reversion process
stopping/failing. An example is the chunk of address nodes around Bank &
Walkley, such as

https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4432919584/history#map=17/45.36977/-75.66044

Is there a decision on what needs to be done to these data?

2.	Does the import process still intend to move (manually?) the
	address points from the lot centres to the building centroids? While
this gives StatCan their building addresses, it does mean that OSM will
create its own variant of the Ottawa address file that won't align with
any other data set.

3.	Just to check: the address nodes will only have the
	house number, street and (optionally) unit? The city, province and
country tags are superfluous because of boundary relations. If StatCan
want this, we should show them how to do a query that pulls in spatial
relations.

4.	(weak attempt at humour) The decision to filter out
	outbuildings is, frankly, shedist. A world without huts and bothies is
not one I would wish to live in.

 Stewart “Two Sheds” Russell