[Talk-ca] Ferry key on ways

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Mon Jul 17 14:33:40 UTC 2017

Ionut,
I've been adding duration to ferry ways in Washington State. None of the
ways have a ferry key which seems rather redundant since the connecting
ways are tagged with the highway type.

But there are different types of ferries in operation. From the fancy BC
Ferries to the small platforms that cross rivers. It might better to
capture the type of boat being used with the capacity and amenities like
food and beverage.

Clifford

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 1:47 AM, Ionut Rus - (p) <ionut.rus at telenav.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are looking into adding the ferry key to ferry ways and we would like
> to have your input first. Looking at the wiki [1] it seems that this key is
> only in proposed stage.
>
> As a preliminary check from the 107 ferry elements (route=ferry) in Canada
> only 10 of them have ferry=* tag
>
> How would  you approach this topic? Do you think that it’s OK to add them
> in OSM?
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ionut Rus
>

> [1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:ferry