[Talk-ca] [Imports] Ottawa, Canada Tree Import

James james2432 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 15:13:34 UTC 2017

Other than MANUALLY VERIFYING EACH AND EVERY TREE, there is no way to give
a statistical analysis of the accuracy of the entire dataset. If we did it
programatically we'd have to prove how the method of analysis is correct
and would be probably be brushed off as being a "mechanical edit" thus
invalid. If the need to verify each tree is not on a road/water/building
this could be accomplished during the import(what I like to call a manual
import: where the data is validated at the time of the importation of data
as to the accuracy of the location and not just a massive dump of data in
one pass)

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Rory McCann <rory at technomancy.org> wrote:

> On 28/06/17 16:53, Kyle Nuttall wrote:
>
>> I am still a little confused by what you mean. Obviously if there's a
>>  tree in the middle of a building, that means something is not right.
>> But what I was trying to say was that the trees in this dataset will
>> only appear where an actual tree is in real life. There shouldn't be
>> any cases of rogue trees in the middle of rivers or buildings because
>> a tree just wouldn't be there in real life.
>>

> What if OSM data is wrong? What if OSM says "The river bank goes up to
> here" and it doesn't, and that would make the tree in the river.
> Sometimes people just upload data into OSM without checking for things
> like this, and you get these weird data problems. You should try to
> figure where (if at all) this happens, and see if the problem is OSM or
> the official data.
>
> You're also presuming the official data is 100% guaranteed to have the
> correct location. If they are 99.9% accurate, then there are 150 wrong
> locations. 99.99% accurate, 15 wrong locations.
>
> If you do this sort of analysis you can find out just how accurate the
> official data is, and also prevent making the map be full of these
> mistakes.

外に遊びに行こう!