[Talk-ca] Multipolygon problems

Stewart Russell scruss at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 14:40:48 UTC 2017

Hi Jochen,

I was waiting for user canvec_imports to say something, but there's been no
activity from the account for more than two years.

The import was started a long time ago, before there were import guidelines
and very likely before the licence change too. It was done with the best
available data at the time, and done with good intent. It was a major coup
to get government data at the time.

Since we have the most of these offending polygons in Canada, and since
we're the second largest country in the world, a more bombastic version of
me might be tempted to say, "No, *you're* doing it wrong ...". But that's
not particularly Canadian, and even less constructive. We simply don't have
the community available to fix this.

One thing that we must do is ensure that the sources of Canvec import data
are either fixed or removed from the web. The infrastructure and
documentation for continuing this import and thus propagating these alleged
errors is still out there. Unless it is removed, we could potentially have
a mapper restart the import again.

 Stewart