[Talk-ca] Multipolygon problems

Frank Steggink steggink at steggink.org
Fri Jun 30 18:16:40 UTC 2017

Hi Jochen,

Maybe I'm not understanding it, but in the OSM inspector [1] I just see
one case of old style multipolygon, in Manitoba. Last week, when you
posted your original message, I just saw one case in New Brunswick.
IIRC, it was a park, not even from the Canvec import.

In the OSM inspector other errors can be seen, but the most prevalent
one is "Touching rings". Maybe indeed a case of suboptimal mapping, but
nothing which seems urgent to me.

Here is an example of a forest multipolygon, imported by me
(canvec_fsteggink). It is still version 1, but it has tags on the
relation, not on the rings (except for the quarries): [2]
This is from Canvec v7.0. IIRC, we started at v6.0, and the last version
I know of is v10.0. Maybe v6.0 had wrong tagging, but I'm not seeing any
such cases in the OSM inspector.

So, I'd like to ask you to give a couple of examples where data imported
from Canvec is clearly wrong with regard to old style multipolygon
tagging. When we have clear examples, then it might be easier to come up
with a plan how to fix it. But so far, I see absolutely no reason why
Canada stands out in a negative way. Yes, we all acknowledge that Canvec
data is suboptimal, but as others already have pointed out, mapping
everything by hand in especially remote areas is nearly impossible.

Regards,

Frank

[1] http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?view=areas
[2] https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1481163/history