[Talk-ca] Vancouver rapid transit stations - "Station" in name?

Jarek Piórkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Sun Nov 5 18:12:57 UTC 2017

Hello,

First post here, sorry if I mess anything up!

A few months back I noticed that station names for Vancouver Skytrain
rapid transit system (all lines) are inconsistent: 32 of them have
"Station" in their name, but 23 don't, with little apparent pattern by
line or location.

Most of all I would like to make it consistent one way or the other -
I hope that's not controversial. Which way is then the question.

I made a note about this in downtown Vancouver near Granville station,
but didn't get much response:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/note/858075

On the ground, signs on station entrances do include "Station",
examples (1) (2) below. Signs at platforms do not include "Station",
example (3). Other TransLink resources are not particularly
consistent: as one example, network maps like (4) do not include
"Station" but local station area maps like (5) do.

Are there conventions on what format should be used - in Canada or in
general in OSM? I couldn't really find anything concrete.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Names seems inconclusive on whether
it should include "Station". I saw a question (6) on help.osm.org
which was specific to Hong Kong and in the end hinged more on existing
consistency.

Analogies from other cities: Toronto and Montreal have no "Station" in
subway/metro station names. Calgary has no "Station" in its LRT names
but Edmonton does. Seattle and Portland also have no "Station".
Possibly the closest analogy, though far away in London, England, see
(7) for example with photos: signs outside all tube stations have
format "Goodge Street Station" / "South Kensington Station"; signs at
platforms say "Goodge Street" / "South Kensington"; OSM tags
name=Goodge Street / name=South Kensington.

Personally I would prefer no "Station", so making the names like
"Burrard", "Vancouver City Centre", "Nanaimo", "Inlet Centre". Does
anyone or any resource disagree?

Cheers,
--Jarek

(1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vancouver_-_Burrard_Station_entrance_01.jpg