[Talk-ca] COMS2200 Ottawa, Carleton University

Steve Singer steve at ssinger.info
Wed Oct 11 03:08:41 UTC 2017

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017, Tracey P. Lauriault wrote:

> Greetings OSM mappers;

For the benefit of background to others on the list

http://www.openstreetmap.org/user_blocks/1560

Is an example of the block message that was sent to a bunch of users.

(I wasn't involved in asking for or implementing the blocks or have anything
to do with the assignment).

I haven't looked at the edits in any details but I will make a few general
comments

1. If one user comes into OSM and makes a few changes with issues
because of misunderstandings or inexperience fixing those changes isn't a
big deal. Most of the time someone will just fix them without saying
anything.  However if 30 or 300 users make lots of changes in a short amount
of time with the same types of errors the volume present challenges.  Large
scale edits by a bunch who are doing it as part of a course, or who are
employed by a company to make the changes, or who are doing so as part of a
coordinated humanitarian effort have the potential to cause problems if they
aren't coordinated  carefully.

2. A big part of working in any open-source project particularly with OSM is
that you need to communicate with the other contributors. Communication is a
two way street, some people are better at it then others and it doesn't come
naturally to everyone.  I would hope that a course that covered the
contributing to open source projects (including open data contributions)
covered interacting with the community. If the course only wanted to give
students experience with the tools then editing against a test or
development instance of OSM would be better.

The advise I would give to people new to the open source communities(and at
times remind veterans) is believe that most people who are contributing are
coming from a place of good intentions and to give them the benefit of the
doubt and try to understand where they are coming from.

When contributing to an open sourced project you need to take responsibility
(as an individual) for your contributions but that doesn't mean they need to
be, or will be perfect. No edits are perfect but people need to be willing
to listen to and learn from feedback from other members of the community.

Steve