[Talk-ca] Building Canada 2020 OSMGeoWeek Mapathons

James james2432 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 19:36:28 UTC 2017

Anything in New Brunswick will most likely have high resolution imagery as
the goverment donated their imagery to ESRI world imagery. The praries
(Northern alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba) have vary little mappers
compared to the rest of the country, it would be fun for people to give
them a helping hand like we did for Fort Mac during the wild fires.

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Julia C <juliaconzon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am currently working at Mapbox on the Data Team and previously worked at
> StatCan on the Crowdsourcing project. Mapbox is collaborating with
> StatCan to engage Canadian universities to participate in the Building
> Canada 2020 project
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Canada/Building_Canada_2020> by
> hosting mapathons during OSMGeoWeek <http://osmgeoweek.org/> (November
> 12-18, 2017).
>
> We want to make sure we are accomplishing this in a way that encourages
> new Canadian mappers, while also ensuring participants are being educated
> properly about OSM and the community.
>
> The plan is to help educate Canadian universities about organizing
> mapathons through documentations like teachOSM <http://teachosm.org/en/> as
> well as to set up clear tasks for students to complete during the
> mapathons. We have started outlining the information on this wiki page
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Canada/Building_Canada_2020/OSMGeoWeek2017>
> .
>
> On the Canada OSM Tasking Manager <http://tasks.osmcanada.ca/> there are
> already some tasks related to the Building Canada 2020 project. My plan is
> to add additional tasks for students to complete. The tasks will clearly
> outline what the students should map and where they should map.
>
> I would like to know if you have any suggestions on
> cities/towns/communities in Canada to focus on, particularly rural regions
> that are not mapped and have high resolution imagery.
>
> Regards,
> Julia

外に遊びに行こう!