[Talk-ca] Building Canada 2020 OSMGeoWeek Mapathons

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 22:00:04 UTC 2017

I completely agree with Pierre on this one.  Especially if its going to
involve more than one University.

In Ottawa we imported the building outlines first through opendata.  Then
new mappers can just add tags.  Just as a reminder here are some buildings
mapped in Africa probably in a maperthon and its not untypical.

http://www.jatws.org/johnw/building3.jpg

I don't think we have the resources to clean up the map afterwards.  This
is a project that Stats is interested in to sell the data.  There have been
some conversations about the use of paid mappers this might be an
appropriate use for them.  I'm not even sure we have enough resources to
have an experienced iD OSM mapper at each location where they will be
mapping and ideally it should be two.

Cheerio John