[Talk-ca] Talk-ca Digest, Vol 116, Issue 28

keith hartley keith.a.hartley at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 20:45:03 UTC 2017


Hi Everyone and Julia
I'm working with Manitoba GIS users group (or MGUG)  to increase OSM
literacy within our community, and work on HOT tasks as well as help
organize with Building 20/20. We have a number of governmental, private and
educational groups within our user group and I would like to work with them
and the greater OSM community to do this! We can provide data, and
frameworks to help!

I have a talk at our annual large convention Oct 23rd  where I am going to
address the greater membership to find interest. We could help bring a few
university's and high schools that I'm sure would love to assist, as we've
been doing geo-week and GIS day in the past.

I've talked with a few prof's at Assiniboine community college and
University of Winnipeg about Mapping Brandon (they have a great staff) . As
well as our education working group could follow up with high school
students.

We're still organizing but would love to jump at something national!

Keith



On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 1:36 PM, <talk-ca-request at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Send Talk-ca mailing list submissions to
>         talk-ca at openstreetmap.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ca
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         talk-ca-request at openstreetmap.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         talk-ca-owner at openstreetmap.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Talk-ca digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: COMS2200 Ottawa, Carleton University (Pierre Béland)
>    2. Building Canada 2020 OSMGeoWeek Mapathons (Julia C)
>    3. Re: Building Canada 2020 OSMGeoWeek Mapathons (James)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 12:27:58 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Pierre Béland <pierzenh at yahoo.fr>
> To: Talk-CA OpenStreetMap <talk-ca at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] COMS2200 Ottawa, Carleton University
> Message-ID: <1572357348.567200.1508329678034 at mail.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> Overpass peut être utilisé de deux façons pour analyser l'historique
> d'OSM1. DATE: État de la carte à une date précise : Exemple de James
> 2. ADIFF: Transactions effectuées entre deux dates. Dans l'exemple
> ci-dessous, j'utilise xml plutot que json comme format d'output. Aussi
> plutot que out body et out skel , j'utilise out meta geom pour plus de
> détail. Beaucoup d'infos disponibles dans le fichier. Par contre, les
> données ne sont pas affichées sur la carte.
> Voir http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/sq6
>
> Pierre
>
>
>     Le mercredi 18 octobre 2017 06:47:20 HAE, James <james2432 at gmail.com>
> a écrit :
>
>  I've gave an example to your students to find old nodes(thanks andy for
> synthax I forgot how to query in past)https://github.com/
> TraceyLauriault/COMS2200A/issues/43
>
>
> On Oct 18, 2017 6:07 AM, "Andy Townsend" <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> For info, there's a bunch of stuff that you can do with Overpass to see
> the state of an object on a certain date, for example:
>
> [date:"2017-08-25T00:17:06Z"];
> way(300069227);
> out geom;
>
> http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/spV
>
> Also it might be worth considering using the dev site
> https://master.apis.dev.openst reetmap.org/ (or even your own hosted OSM
> API) if you want to try an extensive test of "see what this looks like".
> As James has already said, the main OSM site is constantly subject to fixes
> and corrections by everyone - that's kind of the point :)
>
> For example, I used the dev API here to experiment with the mapping of
> drop kerbs etc.:
>
> https://master.apis.dev.openst reetmap.org/#map=18/54.01973/-
> 1.04546&layers=D
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Andy
>
>
> ______________________________ _________________
> Talk-ca mailing list
> Talk-ca at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.or g/listinfo/talk-ca
>
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-ca mailing list
> Talk-ca at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ca
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ca/
> attachments/20171018/a1a0443c/attachment-0001.html>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 14:15:20 -0500
> From: Julia C <juliaconzon at gmail.com>
> To: talk-ca at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: [Talk-ca] Building Canada 2020 OSMGeoWeek Mapathons
> Message-ID:
>         <CALNQtKJ7a8moE-OzConwUYYL_drajwH2+_hGiEKSBomedDpB2Q@
> mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am currently working at Mapbox on the Data Team and previously worked at
> StatCan on the Crowdsourcing project. Mapbox is collaborating with StatCan
> to engage Canadian universities to participate in the Building Canada 2020
> project
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Canada/
> Building_Canada_2020>
> by
> hosting mapathons during OSMGeoWeek <http://osmgeoweek.org/> (November
> 12-18, 2017).
>
> We want to make sure we are accomplishing this in a way that encourages new
> Canadian mappers, while also ensuring participants are being educated
> properly about OSM and the community.
>
> The plan is to help educate Canadian universities about organizing
> mapathons through documentations like teachOSM <http://teachosm.org/en/>
> as
> well as to set up clear tasks for students to complete during the
> mapathons. We have started outlining the information on this wiki page
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Canada/
> Building_Canada_2020/OSMGeoWeek2017>
> .
>
> On the Canada OSM Tasking Manager <http://tasks.osmcanada.ca/> there are
> already some tasks related to the Building Canada 2020 project. My plan is
> to add additional tasks for students to complete. The tasks will clearly
> outline what the students should map and where they should map.
>
> I would like to know if you have any suggestions on
> cities/towns/communities in Canada to focus on, particularly rural regions
> that are not mapped and have high resolution imagery.
>
> Regards,
> Julia
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ca/
> attachments/20171018/80296a57/attachment-0001.html>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 15:36:28 -0400
> From: James <james2432 at gmail.com>
> To: Julia C <juliaconzon at gmail.com>
> Cc: Talk-CA OpenStreetMap <talk-ca at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] Building Canada 2020 OSMGeoWeek Mapathons
> Message-ID:
>         <CANk4qi9gO_i-NGmqHqhQY=fw0EzQZTRp=-P52YPanyuBjhXcUw@
> mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> Anything in New Brunswick will most likely have high resolution imagery as
> the goverment donated their imagery to ESRI world imagery. The praries
> (Northern alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba) have vary little mappers
> compared to the rest of the country, it would be fun for people to give
> them a helping hand like we did for Fort Mac during the wild fires.
>
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Julia C <juliaconzon at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I am currently working at Mapbox on the Data Team and previously worked
> at
> > StatCan on the Crowdsourcing project. Mapbox is collaborating with
> > StatCan to engage Canadian universities to participate in the Building
> > Canada 2020 project
> > <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Canada/
> Building_Canada_2020> by
> > hosting mapathons during OSMGeoWeek <http://osmgeoweek.org/> (November
> > 12-18, 2017).
> >
> > We want to make sure we are accomplishing this in a way that encourages
> > new Canadian mappers, while also ensuring participants are being educated
> > properly about OSM and the community.
> >
> > The plan is to help educate Canadian universities about organizing
> > mapathons through documentations like teachOSM <http://teachosm.org/en/>
> as
> > well as to set up clear tasks for students to complete during the
> > mapathons. We have started outlining the information on this wiki page
> > <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Canada/
> Building_Canada_2020/OSMGeoWeek2017>
> > .
> >
> > On the Canada OSM Tasking Manager <http://tasks.osmcanada.ca/> there are
> > already some tasks related to the Building Canada 2020 project. My plan
> is
> > to add additional tasks for students to complete. The tasks will clearly
> > outline what the students should map and where they should map.
> >
> > I would like to know if you have any suggestions on
> > cities/towns/communities in Canada to focus on, particularly rural
> regions
> > that are not mapped and have high resolution imagery.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Julia
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Talk-ca mailing list
> > Talk-ca at openstreetmap.org
> > https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ca
> >
> >
>
>
> --
> 外に遊びに行こう!
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ca/
> attachments/20171018/2c30acac/attachment.html>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Subject: Digest Footer
>
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-ca mailing list
> Talk-ca at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ca
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> End of Talk-ca Digest, Vol 116, Issue 28
> ****************************************
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ca/attachments/20171018/c32c7d74/attachment.html>


More information about the Talk-ca mailing list